NBA Betting Guide for Bettors 18 and Up
As the highest level of basketball in the world, the NBA attracts interest from players of all ages. Of course, the league also attracts interest from sports bettors as well. For NBA bettors that are 18 and up, the sports betting market is a little limited in the United States. When it comes to domestic sportsbooks accepting action from 18-year-olds, Rhode Island is the only option.
However, all hope is not lost. Licensed online sportsbooks allow NBA bettors to play for real money as long as they are at least 18. To help these 18+ NBA gamblers navigate the world of offshore sports betting, we have created this guide. Here, 18 and over NBA bettors can find out where to play, what to bet on, and other key information necessary for successful and legal gambling.
Is betting on the NBA legal for 18 year olds?
Despite gambling and sports betting laws that can hinder 18+ NBA bettors in the United States, there are still options available.
For the most part, domestic sports betting in the US– in the few states it is actually available in– is reserved for those 21 and over. That means, for 18-year-old NBA bettors, the best option lies with online sportsbooks.
If an 18+ bettor uses a licensed, offshore sportsbook, betting on the NBA is legal due to a lack of federal laws prohibiting such online gambling. For bettors in Washington and Connecticut, however, state laws do outlaw online gambling in all forms. We recommend that all prospective NBA bettors, regardless of age, become familiar with (and adhere to) all state and federal laws regarding online sports wagering.
Best NBA betting sites for 18+
|Bovada||50% Up To $250||4.7/5||Visit Site|
|Betonline||50% Up To $1,000||4.6/5||Visit Site|
|Mybookie||100% Up To $1,000||4.5/5||Visit Site|
|Bookmaker||100% Up To $300||4.4/5||Visit Site|
|Xbet||100% Up To $300||4.3/5||Visit Site|
|SportsBetting||50% Up To $1,000||4.2/5||Visit Site|
Where can I bet on the NBA at 18?
Since the only real legal option for NBA betting in the United States at 18 years old is through online sportsbooks, the choices are limited. That does not mean 18+ have any great options, though.
There are a plethora of online, licensed sportsbooks available that offer legal NBA wagering to 18-year-olds. To make the sportsbook selection process even easier, we have a list of recommended sportsbooks listed on this page.
Are 18 and over online sportsbooks safe for betting on the NBA?
When betting on the NBA, regardless of location or format, safety is the top priority. Of course, given the stigma surrounding online sports gambling, verifying player protection is key to placing bets faithfully.
With every online sportsbook featured on this page, state of the art protocols are in place. To ensure player safety when making NBA bets, the sites use live customer support, data encryption, and cryptocurrency funding options. Also, due to their regulated status, these online sportsbooks are held to high standards to guarantee fair practices.
Best ways to fund NBA wagering for 18 and up bettors
For many offshore NBA bettors, the vast amount of funding options is a worthy draw. Using credit cards, vouchers, cryptocurrency, and services like Zelle give bettors the chance to choose how they fund their accounts. In general, standard in-person sportsbooks only allow cash or card options.
As internet-based money services continue to grow, 18+ bettors will have more options for NBA betting bankrolls. One popular method right now is cryptocurrency. The most prolific crypto, Bitcoin, is a deposit and withdrawal option on most major online sportsbooks.
Now with services like Zelle being so convenient for 18 and over bettors, opportunities are endless. With Zelle, NBA gamblers can send money from their checking and savings accounts directly to Bitcoin owners on LocalBitcoins.com. Within minutes, as opposed to 7-10 days, bettors will have access to their Bitcoin for immediate NBA betting action.
Bonuses and Promotions at NBA betting sites for players 18+
Most online sportsbooks offer bonuses and promotions specifically for sports betting, which includes the NBA. For example, some offshore sites may offer 18+ bettors a 50% Welcome Bonus up to $250 for sports bets.
Other sites may offer NBA wagerers a 25% Reload Bonus up to $500 to add extra value to subsequent bets. Either way, regardless of the sportsbook chosen, there are almost always promos available.
Does my state allow me to bet on NBA games at 18?
NBA sports betting for 18-year-olds is limited domestically in the United States. So far, the only state to allow sports betting at 18+ is Rhode Island. While Tennessee and Montana have pending sports gambling legislation for 18-year-old betting in place, all the other sports betting states either require bettors to be 21 and up or outlaws it all together.
Again, with this limited availability for domestic sports betting for those 18 and over, online sportsbooks are probably the best option for NBA betting.
Types of NBA bets and their definitions
For new 18+ NBA sports bettors, the many different types of bets can get confusing. The following is a breakdown of definitions to help new bettors decide which type of wager they prefer:
- Point spread: This bet dictates the margin of victory for the favorited team, or by how many points the better squad is expected to win by. If betting on the favorite, they need to win by more than the point spread. If betting on the underdog, they either need to win or lose by less than the spread. (ex. Miami -8 means that the Heat must win by 9 or more to “cover the spread.”)
- Money line: These bets are more of a “win is a win” type wagers. Each team is given odds (such as Minnesota -110, Atlanta +125) that dictate how much will be won if choosing the correct team. In this example, betting $100 on Atlanta would pay out $125.
- Totals: Also known as “over/unders,” totals are bets made on how many points the teams or players will score. Totals can be for one or both teams, or they can be for players. (ex. Suns O/U112.5 or Will Devin Booker score over/under 32 points?)
- Prop bets: While props are not usually traditional bets, they are still very popular. Prop bets focus on things that can happen that don’t always influence the game’s outcome directly. (ex. Will Anthony Davis high-five four or more teammates?)
- Parlays: To increase a payout, but also increase the risk, parlays allow bettors to string wagers together for more money. The catch is that all bets must win, otherwise they all lose.
- Futures: If predictions are the more preferred betting method, futures are great. If a bettor thinks they can correctly guess the NBA’s next MVP or championship team, future bets allow wagers to be placed on them now in hopes of large payouts later.
Tips and strategies for 18 and over NBA bettors
Like most things in NBA betting, it all comes down to preference and personal style. However, there are still a few tips and strategies that can be used by all gamblers, especially those 18 and over, to maximize their winnings.
- Understand the NBA: Over the last few years, the NBA has changed in style, subsequently shifting the statistical outputs. Apart from that, just knowing the teams, players, and win-loss records throughout the league can help with making informed sports bets. If nothing else, an interest in the NBA will at least make the bets easier to follow.
- Review injuries: Missing just one player can disrupt a team’s entire gameplan. For that reason, it is always smart to keep an eye on injuries and which players will be sitting out as it can affect spreads, totals, lines, and more.
- Analyze matchups: Basketball is a game of matchups and adjustments. One team may do horribly against a certain defensive style but may thrive against another. Looking at the matchups is one of the easiest ways to determine where to bet.
- Manage your bankroll: This is key for all bettors, but especially for 18+ gamblers new to NBA wagers. Betting wisely and trying never to bust can prolonge an NBA bettor’s chances of hitting big. Besides, who wants to lose a lot anyway?
Odds To Win The 2020 NBA Finals
- Los Angeles Lakers +200
- Milwaukee Bucks +300
- Los Angeles Clippers +325
- Boston Celtics +1200
- Houston Rockets +1500
- Toronto Raptors +2000
- Denver Nuggets +2200
- Philadelphia 76ers +2200
- Utah Jazz +2200
- Miami Heat +2800
- Dallas Mavericks +3500
- Brooklyn Nets +4000
- Indiana Pacers +5000
- New Orleans Pelicans +8000
- Oklahoma City Thunder +8000
- Portland Trail Blazers +12500
- Memphis Grizzlies +20000
- Orlando Magic +25000
- Sacramento Kings +25000
- San Antonio Spurs +25000
- Washington Wizards +25000
- Phoenix Suns +50000
Odds available at Bovada
2019-20 NBA season schedule and important dates
There are a few key dates to be aware of during the NBA season. While very few have much to do with betting on the league, they should be noted, especially the beginning and end of the season.
- October 22, 2019: Beginning of the regular season.
- February 6, 2020: Trade deadline
- February 14-16, 2020: All-Star Game
- April 18, 2020: End of the regular season (suspended*)
- April 20, 2020: Playoffs start (suspended*)
- June 4-21, 2020: NBA Finals (suspended*)
A useful practice for NBA betting is to learn as much about the game and the statistics as possible. Knowing past trends and streaks will make betting on the future lines and odds much easier. To help with that process, we have provided a few links to provide information.