New York 18 and Up Sports Betting Sites
New York has a complicated history when it comes to sports betting since the state put a provision in a 2013 bill that would legalize wagering on sports at the state level if the federal ban was ever overturned. That happened in May 2018 and now New York has state-licensed sportsbooks.
In addition to domestic sportsbooks (upstate), there are other legal sports betting options available to New Yorkers who are at least 18 years old. Below you’ll find the best NY 18+ online sportsbooks available in addition to in-depth information on the pending bills and laws relating to sports wagering in the state of New York.
Top-Rated Online Sportsbooks For 18+ New York Bettors
|Bovada||50% Up To $250||4.7/5||Visit Site|
|Betonline||50% Up To $1,000||4.3/5||Visit Site|
|Sportsbetting.ag||50% Up To $1,000||4.2/5||Visit Site|
Can you bet on sports at age 18 in New York?
To bet at the domestic sportsbooks, patrons have to be over the age of 21. However, you can bet on sports if you’re at least eighteen years old at the legally licensed eighteen and over betting sites above since each one is located outside of the NY jurisdiction.
Is it legal to bet at 18+ online sportsbooks in New York?
Yes. There is no federal gambling laws or law in the state of New York that prevents New Yorkers from placing a bet at age 18 at online sportsbooks that are legally licensed and located offshore, outside of the NY and US jurisdictions.
Are sports betting sites safe for New York residents?
With today’s Internet, you can never be too careful when it comes to scam sites that constantly keep popping up. We made this site to provide New Yorkers and residents of the United States with safe and legal alternatives to the illegal bookies in back alleys and to steer visitors away from “online sportsbooks” that will do nothing but steal your money. Each of the sportsbooks found on this page has been vetted and approved by our staff after being determined to be 100% safe.
Did the PASPA’s repeal open the door for legal sports betting in New York?
New York lawmakers passed a law in 2013 that would authorize four casinos across four different counties to offer brick-and-mortar state-licensed sportsbooks should the federal ban ever be lifted. That happened with the US Supreme Court decision in May 2018, but New Yorkers are still waiting for the state legislature to authorize and launch sports betting.
New York Sports Betting Laws/Pending Bills
New York state passed and launched domestic sports betting in 2019. The following bill authorizes domestic sports betting but contains no wordage of state-regulated online sports betting.
State-Licensed Sportsbooks in New York
Even though the law has been enacted only one casino has officially launched its sportsbook to date. The following casino locations will add their sportsbook when they obtain the proper license and means to accept bets.
- Schenectady (launched July 2019)
New York College and Professional Sports Teams
New York City is often called the media capital of the world and one could say that the state of New York is the sports capital of the world. With numerous colleges fielding teams that compete at the level of NCAA Division I and over a dozen pro teams as members of a major professional sports league, it’d be hard to argue that NY isn’t king when comes to housing sports teams. And if you’re betting at any of the 18+ online sportsbooks we recommend, then you can find all of the teams below frequently featured in betting lines and odds.
NCAA Division I Teams:
- Albany Great Danes: America East (Albany)
- Buffalo Bulls: MAC (Buffalo)
- Canisius Golden Griffins: MAAC (Buffalo)
- Colgate Raiders: Patriot (Hamilton)
- Hofstra Pride: CAA (Hempstead)
- Cornell Big Red: Ivy (Ithaca)
- Niagara Purple Eagles: MAAC (Lewiston)
- Siena Saints: MAAC (Loudonville)
- Iona Gaels: MAAC (New Rochelle)
- LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds: Northeast (Brooklyn)
- Francis Brooklyn Terriers: Northeast (Brooklyn)
- Columbia Lions: Ivy (Manhattan)
- John’s Red Storm: Big East (Queens)
- Wagner Seahawks: Northeast (Staten Island)
- Fordham Rams: Atlantic 10 (Bronx)
- Manhattan Jaspers and Lady Jaspers: MAAC (Bronx)
- Bonaventure Bonnies: Atlantic 10 (Olean)
- Marist Red Foxes: MAAC (Poughkeepsie)
- Stony Brook Seawolves: America East (Stony Brook)
- Syracuse Orange: ACC (Syracuse)
- Binghamton Bearcats: America East (Vestal)
- Army Black Knights: Patriot (West Point)
Major Professional Sports Teams:
- Brooklyn Nets: NBA (Brooklyn)
- Buffalo Bills: NFL (Orchard Park)
- Buffalo Sabres: NHL (Buffalo)
- New York City FC: MLS (Bronx)
- New York Giants: NFL (East Rutherford, NJ)
- New York Islanders: NHL (Brooklyn/Uniondale)
- New York Rangers: NHL (Manhattan)
- New York Jets: NFL (East Rutherford, NJ)
- New York Knicks: NBA (Manhattan)
- New York Liberty: WNBA (White Plains)
- New York Mets: MLB (Queens)
- New York Red Bulls: MLS (Harrison, NJ)
- New York Yankees: MLB (Bronx)
Legal Minimum Gambling Age in New York
In New York, the legal minimum gambling age requirement is age 21 years old and up in order to gamble at slot machines, sportsbooks, and table games or bet real money while playing poker at any of the state-licensed tribal or commercial casinos.
Other Forms of Legal 18+ Gambling in New York
For legal gambling options available to New Yorkers who are 18-year-old adults, there are several different ways that are legal. 18 and older NY residents can purchase lottery tickets, play bingo and bet on horse racing at any of the prestigious tracks across the state. In addition the 18+ online sportsbooks we recommend also have legal and safe 18+ online casinos and poker rooms that are also viable legal options as well.
If you or someone you know resides in New York and are beginning to exhibit the warning signs that can stem from problem gambling habits, please contact the New York Council on Problem Gambling for immediate help.